It's been a little while since I last wrote to you, but I had to share some excellent news: I sewed!!
Now I know this is a small miracle in itself, particularly given my last attempt required your expert hand at sewing the hem properly and instructing me on which way to have my seams folded prior to whipping them up on the machine. We know that my successes do not extend to needle and thread.
So let me tell you about my little experiment, because experiment it was!! I have this lovely banner cutter for my Stampin up! Big shot. I tell you what, that thing is pure genius; it cuts layers of fabric just as easily as card stock. You just lay your fabric on top of the cutter, sandwich it between two layers of perspex, roll it through the Big Shot, and Ta-dah!! Lots of little banners. So, I cut a stack of burlap and a stack of linen and this is where you would be proud....I pinned them together! Pinning! I know!! Who would have thunk it! Some banners were a little larger than others, but you know what, I didn't care. I thought it would add to the rustic look I was aiming for.
So Mum, I pinned the banners together and I hand sewed the first banner.... I have to say at that point I felt a little bit like you, sitting in front of the TV with a pile of sewing in my lap.
Now, I may have to ring Dad when you get to this point to get him to check you haven't fainted at the PC.
Because that first banner took forever, and as you know I am entirely too impatient at times when it comes to results, I sewed the rest on my dusty and rarely used machine. I know! Sewing machine,...me!
Is Dad still with you?
After I sewed the banners together, I pinned and sewed the little lace edge along the open front and the back edge onto the linen tape I had bought.
To finish the fronts I attached a little burlap and linen cut-out - also from the banner template - that I had ink stamped with Christmas sentiments like "Joy", "Thanks", "Cherish" and "Hope". Lovely!
To add an extra dimension to the banner, I decided to include some clay tags - remember the Christmas ornaments I showed you how to make here? Well, this time I used my french script stamp and a scone cutter.
Oh, remind me if I ever make you scones that I cut clay tags with them and I shouldn't be using them for both tasks.
Once the clay tags dried, I was inspired by something you had done once before - remember when you were involved in the creative group that made textile pictures out of fabric that had been dyed with organic materials? Well, I decided to tea stain the tags because I really wanted to keep the tonings in line with the rustic feel and I thought it would also bring the script out beautifully.
I reckon beetroot would be quite interesting...though am not sure how moss would go.
I did also give the tags a little rub with a metallic white, but just a little - enough of a christmas pop without losing the rustic-ness. I popped eyelets into the tape between banners, then tied the clay tags using twine.
I will post an extra photo to you tomorrow when the sun is out and is working in my favour for taking photos.
My plan on Christmas night is to pop some Lindt chocolates and little bits and pieces in them. And there, you have it - I sewed: the seams are straight, they may appear "inside out", but they are just how I wanted them to turn out.
Big hugs, love you,
PS - I am going to pop this over at Jami's place for the Air your Laundry Friday, because that is where lots of lovely textile creativity can be found. You can find her link on my side bar at the right if you would like to have a look. x